Tuesday 15 May 2012

FMP, Allotments, Primary Research, Part 2

Allotments Primary Research, Part 2

Ross-On-Wye Allotments

Situated next to a well kept cemetery on a housing estate, the Ross-On-Wye allotments are very particular about how they are viewed.  Trying to find the entrance was a nightmare, as this gated community are incredibly conscious of who access the site.  



After persuading a king lady to gain me entry, I could see straight away how well kept and organised the allotments were.  Whilst I was viewing one of the more 'untidy' plots, another gentleman proceeded to make the point that un-kept plots were dealt with seriously.  They have a warning system, then if the plot isn't tidied and brought 'up-to-standard' they are removed and the plot's given to someone else.





However, I find something intriguing about a more unorganised plot, it tells a story and seems to have more character than the 'perfect' plot.


Even the sheds are pristine and 'perfect'




I couldn't help but to compare this allotment to Monmouth's, which I had grown so fond of.  Ross' more pristine appearance and layout may have been much more aesthetically pleasing but was sterile in comparison to Monmouth's.  Where as Ross' was much more modern and up-to-date (as I discovered that half of it was only approximately a year old) and displayed lusher plants, Monmouth's was much more accessible, welcoming and full of character and story.


















Even with my preference to my home-towns allotments, Ross' was beautiful in its own right and it was wonderful to see such a contrast in allotments.  I found some home made gems at these allotments which I hadn't in Monmouth's.  The hanging CD's, scare crow and planted golf clubs, but to name a few.


Clever water access

The plants are protected under these large water bottles

Ross' plots include the famous CD bird deter-ant



This scare crow has character with its hat and t-shirt on

The glass panel from an old green house, magnifies and centres the heat and sun onto the plants underneath.  Not only that but its a physical deter-ant to birds

Old plumbing tubing is used here to run wire from to help the plants grow up it. 

This is one of my favourite ideas.  I love how the golf clubs stand out proudly from the ground.  There rubber handles protect people form impaling themselves on them.  However, I wonder how the owner came across this many clubs???

This is very aesthetically pleasing, the spirals and shiny metal are a work of art on there own.  However, its also useful as it gives plants a form to grow up.



Speaking to this allotment owner's parents who come to water the plants, they informed me that the tall sphere of mesh was a structure to grow sweet peas up.

This link to Ross-On-Wye's allotment Internet page shows only 'perfect' photographs of the plots.  This is very representative of how the allotment owners want to represent their community.

Here I am sketching at the Ross-On-Wye allotments:



No comments:

Post a Comment