Tuesday 15 May 2012

FMP: Allotments, Idea's and Development

Final Major Project

Allotments, Idea's & Development

It doesn't only seem to be me that is currently fascinated by allotments and the character they hold.

Shops such as "Salt and Pepper" are also promoting the more traditional joys of allotments and gardening in a range of beautiful, tactile and decorative items.  These consist of storage boxes, paper watering can seed holders, and blank decorative seed packets.  All of their items are either beautifully crafted and decorated to appeal to adults, or created to encourage children to engage in outdoor creativity.  This is very similar to the art work I wish to create.

I want to involve all members of society in gardening, as well as display allotments character and beauty.  Involving children in this to show it can be adventurous is an aim I desire to achieve.  If you can start involvement in allotments at such a young age, it can be taught into new generations that gardening is fun for everyone and has so many benefits.

The allotment and gardening range in "Salt and Pepper" having its own whole section, beautifully arranged and given its own section in the shop, only shows how fashionable and important this back-to-basics activity is.

Screen Printing:

I played around and experimented with screen printing to try out a variety of pigments and materials or paper.  I considered colours, pigments and papers with the theme of allotments in mind.


Developed Screen Printing:

Using my previous experiments in screen printing, I took a design I worked on and created more prints.  I really enjoyed the foil effect, however, this is not appropriate considering my topic.  Allotments aren't shiny and perfect in appearance, but much more natural and worn.  Thus, browns and colours along these lines are much more appropriate.  The 'Bronze Pearl' looked lovely on off white material but smudged on the paper.  This is due to its less absorbent qualities.  After consulting with the technicians, I was directed towards the 'Matt Laq' which is thicker in consistency, thus works better on paper.

I used quality watercolour paper for some, as I can then work into it with watercolour paint to view what aesthetic qualities this has.  I love the hand made, differing look of every screen print which are wonderful for final pieces and introductory media, such as tea towels, bags and prints to promote myself.

I have experimented with various pigments as well as adding colour to the screen prints.  Stencilling out sections and printing over them, left a delightful off-side colouring but I just couldn't achieve the natural colours and feelings I required.  They were too garish and brash.

Then I tried 'procium' printing inks.  They were much more elegant and what effect I required but you just couldn't be as precise as I wanted.  However, the 'watery' and organic appearance it produced I loved.  Looking at it more I realised it was a lot like watercolours, so that led me to try water colouring over my prints.  This is what I preferred and thus decided on.

RESULTS:

The chosen route:

I have decided to create tea towels and welly boot bags as merchandise to sell.  These compliment the allotment subject and could become nice products to mirror my exhibition pieces for the HCA Summer Show.

Part 1: So far things are going well.  I have created the designs and screens.  They look great on off white / cream material in the natural colours I have experimented with.

Part 2: So I have bought all the material for the tea towels and draw string bags.  Now to test the designs with the material.  I have screen printed onto one piece of tea towel material with Pearl Bronze (my chosen pigment).  I also added a table spoon of 'fixative' to fix the print, as the consumer will likely want to wash them.

Part 3: Taking the printed tea towel home I put it on a 30 degree, quick wash.  The design stayed fixed on brilliantly and didn't fade or smear or wash off, which was brilliant.  HOWEVER, I did have major issues.  I had put in all the other tea towel material with it, to wash any chemicals that may be on the material off.  The material shrunk incredibly, more than I had expected and aloud for when cutting them out. AND they frayed a lot!  I had problems here!

Part 4:

The Solution:

The material I have for my 'teatowls' have changed its purpose.  They are now becoming 'Cushion Covers'.  I collected some beautiful and complimentary coloured, backing material for the cushions.  Testing what they would look like by wrapping it round a cushion and placing it on the sofa, it just worked.  I think this 'mishap' may turn to my advantage.  They are much more suited and look lovely as cushion covers.

Another Alteration:

By titling the draw string bag a 'Welly boot bag' dictates to the buyer what they should be using this product for.  This could put off potential buyers of my bag, as they may not want to use it for this.  So the bags are becoming "Gardener's Bags".


I appologise for not adding any photos of my development!
A issue has occured with my blog where I am unable to add any more photos or images.  I have created a slide show of my development however, so if you would like to view it, contact me and I will email you a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment