Monday 30 January 2012

Monnow Bridge Caravan & Camping Site's Business Cards

For my personal live project I  was to design a new business card for Monnow Bridge Caravan & Camping Site.  The current business card they had was plain, completely text based and not as eye catching or representative of the site as wised.  These were designed this way about 15years ago to keep printing costs down, however the style needs changing due to other caravan site competitors having much more lavish advertisement.


So to start this project I photographed the site:










After some market research I found that the site's clients are not aimed at young people, but mainly the older generations as its not a expensive site and it focus' on peace and tranquillity. This will be my focus.




These are the business card designs I found very interesting and inspirational:



After deciding upon the design I was going ahead with from my initial design sketches in my journal, I developed alternative items in this composition:


CHOSEN COMPOSITION:

Then a bit of collage was in order to check what this chosen designs composition would look like:

Then for colour scheme ideas:


Once I had decided upon a composition that appealed and would leave room in consideration for the text, it was time to look at each element carefully.  LIFE DRAWING was essential for this:



Then a rough sketch of a traditional British holidaying deck chair, the essence of holidaying at home

Then for colour ideas for the VW Camper, a very fashionable motor van which appeals to the majority:


Then it was to the actual components for the business cards.  I painted them seperately so i could piece them together with Photoshop:

 


I am pleased with the effect using acrylic paint has on the vibrancy and outcome of these illustrations.  They really do jump out of the page.  I have gone for a bright colour scheme intentionally as it is a piece of advertising and should stand out and shout to gain peoples attention.

I am pleased with this composition and vibrancy of the business card.  By painting these elements of the image large and shrinking them down to fit into the business cards format really tightens the image up neatly


Including the text:

This card shows the text at a reasonable sized font but it is to 'samey' and needs more spacing to help divide the text and make curtain information more important than others.


The following image has the text spaced out appropriately and much clearer.  Also the title of the site is BOLD to make it stand out, as this is the most important piece of information.  However, considering the generation of the target audience, the bottom two lines are just too small.



Final Design:




Explination:  The most important text on this business card is the name of the site and contact details (phone number) as this is the only way bookings are taken.  This is why that takes priority over the other information and is arranges in the format it is. 

I have used this font (inc serif's) as it is a traditional font and considering my target audience, think its appropriate.










No comments:

Post a Comment